Sunday, June 16, 2013

Summer Time and the Livin's Easy


Whew!  This has been a hectic seven months.  I can't believe it's been that long since I posted.  I bet most of you thought I was gone for good.

Now that the school year's over, I'm back.

Next year, I'll try blogging the whole year.  Wish me luck.

A quick recap of November - June (with more details likely to come in later posts):

1.  I got engaged!!!!!!  We aren't getting married until next summer, so I haven't started planning yet, but now that school is out, the planning is ON!


(nothing else on this list is going to come close to that level of exciting, at least to me, so hence the font size decrease)

2.  I successfully survived my second year of teaching, with me being the second most experienced with 4th grade on my team (and therefore having to step up to leadership roles) and having one team-member transferred mid-year (followed by a train of subs as they searched for a replacement).

3.  I finished BTSA.

4.  I didn't get a pink slip (hey, big deal for a second year teacher)

5.  I said good bye (making them promise to visit, of course) to an absolutely amazing group of kiddos. I think that this will be one of those groups that stands out as one of my favorites for my entire career. 


Now, for my summer plans ...

This year, I'm trying to keep my school summer to-do list shorter.  Last year, I was so overwhelmed by everything I wanted to do that I did very little of it.  That, and I have a wedding to plan! :)


  • Organize master copies
  • Make "I can" statement posters for all standards (especially Common Core Math and Language Arts, but also Social Studies and Science)
  • Map out Language Arts (I meant to do this last summer.  It's even more important now that we are switching to Common Core this year)
  • Make a Teacher Toolbox (yep, I didn't last summer)
I've seen SO many great ones.  This inspiration is from Mrs. Tina's Tots.
  • Make a Copy, File, Laminate box (my take on the Copy, File, Grade box that's been all over lately)
Again, so many great ones.  This inspiration is from 4th Grade Frolics.
  • Work on Social Studies Units (I completely re-did one social studies unit this school year, and the kids LOVED it.  They cheered for Social Studies time, rather than groaning.  WIN!)
  • Make Behavior Chart colored clips
  • Figure out how I'm going to organize myself next year (lesson plans, grading, student info, meeting notes, etc)

What's on your summer to-do list?  Any advice for any of mine?


No comments:

Post a Comment